Sunday, September 7, 2008

Social Butterflies

My kids are different. At least it seems that way to me. I have heard stories from all kinds of parents whose kids don't want to go to tumbling or ballet or soccer or school etc. for whatever reason. Sometimes it is a permanent thing. Sometimes it is just a temporary thing. Sometimes the folks know why and sometimes they don't have a clue as to what the problem might be. Every family deals with it differently. Some parents make their kids go to the extra curricular activity and some don't. I have never had that problem. In all honesty my kids can't wait to get out of the house or to have a babysitter or whatever! It doesn't matter where they are going or who they are going with. When we go to parks, a place to eat that has a play area, the museum, my kids take off and I don't see them again until there is food or it is time to go. They count the days until ballet or tumbling or a night with grandma. If I go to a doctor's appointment and I get home early they seem disappointed. If and when hubby and I go on a date they would happily make the reservation at the restaurant for us. The one and only time my hubby and I went away for the weekend the kids practically packed our bags. There have been times in each of their lives where there was a little drama but nothing that I ever worried about or that didn't correct itself in a very short time. I like it. I am not good at all that drama. But, I would be lying if at times I wasn't just a little bit curious. Why are my kids so willing to go, go, go? Maybe I am a bad mom, maybe they are just social kids, maybe they like the break, maybe they like different things, maybe they enjoy their activities. We definitely don't sit home day after day looking for things to do so it can't be boredom. We are always on the go somewhere with someone. I just don't know. I have had people tell me "It just means they are secure, confident, happy." For today, that is what I chose to believe . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yeah, I have to agree with the people who say your kids feel confident and loved. It's the secure kids who go the farthest, because they always know they can come back.
(It's why I don't let my babies "cry it out", I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I believe the more secure they are knowing that I'll come to them if they need/want me, eventually they'll 'test' that less). I also think that personality has a bunch to do with it. I've got two who like to go,go,go and one who doesn't like to. And one I'm not sure about yet :)
You're a great Mom, your kids are the best proof.