Monday, September 29, 2008

Birth Story - Boop


It is Boop's third birthday today so what an appropriate day to tell his story!! In the previous two births I had never actually gone into labor. My water had always broke and I would have to get Pitocin to get labor started. Because I thought this would be my last baby I really, really wanted to "go into labor" and I really wanted to try labor without any drugs. Even with the first baby I was never scared of labor and delivery. As we got closer and closer to the delivery date I was beginning to be concerned about how big the baby would be. This time I knew if I went into labor I would have more than enough time to get someone over to watch the girls so my sister, mom and MIL were just on call. I had a doc appt on a Weds before ballet class. It was a day or two before my due date. I actually saw a doctor and explained to her how I envisioned everything going. She did a little thing and explained to me that I could possibly go into labor that night. Hubby had been working a 12 hour shift that day and my mom and sister were coming over for dinner. We were suppose to have spaghetti. By the time I got home in the early evening I was feeling kind of funny so we just decided to order pizza. By the time dinner was over I was sure I was in labor!! I wish I could describe how it felt but I honestly don't remember. What I do remember is that it was the season premier of Lost and hubby and I had been waiting all summer to see it. Oddly enough the cable went out while I was getting ready for the hospital. So, while my mom and sister were still at the house hubby took me up to the new women's center at the hospital and they happened to have Lost on!! They only had a TV in the reception area not triage so hubby stayed in the lobby to watch the show while they got me all check in and checked out ;) He and the nurse would come back at commercials and tell me what was happening!! When the show was over hubby came back to the triage room. Because I was trying to labor naturally they just let me stay there and I would walk around and around the women's center. I remember having to just stop sometimes and bend down because the pain was so bad but then I would get up and keep walking. It was getting late and hubby was very tired. Because I was not using my bed hubby got in it and fell asleep. The nurse had to pull the curtain so other expectant mothers wouldn't see him sleeping in my bed!! I just kept walking and walking and walking. Finally by about 1-2AM I had not progressed very far and I was soooooo tired. I decided to go ahead and get an epidural. That relaxed me enough to get things moving in the right direction. But, as I have since learned they seem to always give me too much. (I think that is what happened with Little Mama.) I have sooo much in me that I can not effectively push. Well, the same thing was happening with Boop. I was pushing but it wasn't doing any good. Finally I asked for them to take the epidural away so I could get feeling back. As soon as the medicine wore off I was able to feel and able to effectively push. I didn't mind the pain because it was productive!! Out came baby boy like 7:40 AM . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

I LOVE this story!! We are HUGE LOST fans so I can totally understand how that played into the drama of little Boop's arrival! And I laughed out loud envisioning your hubby asleep in your bed at the hospital! SO funny! Goodness, but you have the best stories! Thank you so much for sharing!