Thursday, September 11, 2008

Potty Training

In the beginning of motherhood one of the harder things you think you have to do is potty train your child. When my first child was at "potty training age" I remember being kind of stressed about the whole thing. Another way mothers were "judged" for lack of a better word. When my first child was about 18 months old mother's old and new start giving advice on what they did or what they were doing regarding potty training. I was determined to get Nature Girl trained and out of diapers before Little Mama came along in a couple months. I didn't want to have to be changing diapers for two everyday. So we bought the thick underwear, regular underwear and read some articles. I think we even had a video! Anyway, whatever I tried just did not work. The minute I paid attention to something else she would have an accident. She just wasn't ready. With a newborn in the house and 22 mos old I gave up. Exactly what all the books, articles, moms said not to do. It was just too stressful. What was the big deal of changing two kids diapers. It was easier then cleaning pee off the floor :) So we waited a couple of months and when SHE was ready it was so much easy. By the time Little Mama was about 2, I started to stress a little bit again. I was pregnant again and I remembered how hard it was the first time around. I didn't want to make the same mistakes. Wow, what a difference it was training Little Mama. She basically did it all on her own. One day she woke up and said "I want underwear" and honest to goodness that was it. She put them on, I don't think she ever had an accident and she even insisted on wearing underwear to bed at night. Then came Boop. A boy. Once again the "experts" said wait until he is older. Boys take longer etc. etc. etc. I had learned a thing or two since beginning this whole potty training experience, it had nothing to do with me. My only role was to pay attention to the development, temperament and personality of my child. Boop was a little over 2 and it was right before Christmas. He wanted big boy pants. Really??? Right before the holidays?? So we went shopping for tighty whities for a two year old. I have to admit they are the cutest things I have ever seen :) It is many months later and he is not completely trained. For some strange reason he thinks I am the only one who can take him to the bathroom so obviously we have a hurdle there. But, we don't have to travel with a diaper bag anymore. He doesn't really have accidents unless he (or I) just forget to take him to the bathroom. Some would say he has me trained but the reality of it is it is cheaper then diapers. Between the 5 of us someone always has to go potty so he just goes along. My fall back is, no one will be 18 and in diapers . . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Your first two are just like mine: Thomas was very difficult to train (until he was ready) and Daniel just trained himself. My third one still shows no inclination to be out of diapers and I show no inclination to remedy that :)