Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lunch

We had lunch at the house today with someone I use to work with a long time ago - before I had kids. (Do you notice there is a before and after kids when referring to life.) Lunch back when I had a job (that had a set hour in the day to eat said lunch) might have consisted of a meal with a coworker that contained a stream of uninterrupted conversation that could sometimes be up to 45 minutes long. I don't really even remember what the topics were anymore. I am sure mostly small talk etc. My how times have changed. Lunch today was different. First, I actually sat down at the table for lunch with my friend and children and we all ate together. Second, there was not any "uninterrupted conversation." I begged my kids to be good "How many times does mommy have friends over for lunch?" There was the card incident and the fluttering like a butterfly incident just to name a couple. So much for uninterrupted conversation! And the conversation that did take place was also different. Nowadays, there doesn't seem time to make small talk. When you have kids and you have an opportunity to talk with another adult it has been my experience that the talk is always of some weighty nature - learning styles, politics, family. As much as I enjoy having lunch with my co-workers from the past, I have never had a desire to go back to having a "lunch hour." I love my "lunch 30 seconds" . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Isn't that the truth? "Lunch30seconds", I love it. Your comments are always spot on.