Thursday, December 11, 2008

Another Love/Hate Relationship

I love/hate fast food. We have sworn off McDonald's (well sort of). The one by our house is horrendous. The food is cold and the service _ _ _ _ _. And you spend a fortune for it. Hubby ever once and a while will go but I refuse to eat it. We love Taco Bell (relatively inexpensive and great service), Hungry Howie's Pizza (cheap and pretty darn tasty) and the most favorite fast food restaurant of all - Chick-fil-A. The food is good, the service is superb, the restaurant is clean and they have an inside playground. One of the first outings I had when Boop was a newborn was to a surprise birthday party for a friend. The party was at a restaurant and daddy was working. I was just going to make an appearance so I wanted to feed the kids somewhere cheap before we went. We stopped a Chick-fil-A. I was still learning to maneuver with a 4 yo, 2 yo and a newborn. Boop was in his carrier and I was trying to open the restaurant door. One of the Chick-fil-A employees saw me struggling and came and opened the door for me. They have consistently helped me with food and kids over the past three years. Kids eat free on Tuesday and they have clowns and balloons. Now the hate part of my relationship - I know the food is terrible for the kids and me for that matter. I am one of those who mills my own wheat, we have real butter, real peanut butter and fruit and veggies with lunch, real honey made down the road, succanat instead of sugar, whole wheat pasta and Irish sea salt. I don't say that to brag or make others feel bad if they don't do all of that. It is a choice we make for our family. It is hard sometimes and can be expensive. But I always find it ironic when we are in the drive through of a fast food place. All of this to say, we are having Taco Bell for dinner tonight . . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

My kids are happy to eat healthy if I provide healthy. I know it's up to me. We eat fast food...maybe once or twice a week. It's not ideal, but sometimes it's what I need/want. I am sadly addicted to french fries. So salty. And I love Coke from McDonald's. Is it the ice? The big fat straw? I don't know, but I can't get enough. sigh. I now have a craving.

Ann said...

My craving lately is Starbucks! I went cold turkey when I was pregnant. I truly believe they have something addictive in them :)