Friday, December 19, 2008

Sissy's 24th Birthday



It is hard to believe that 24 years ago today Sissy was born. I would like to say that I remember that day like it was yesterday but that would be a lie. I was 16, my own birthday was in 2 weeks, Christmas was coming and I was a junior in high school. Cut me some slack ;) I do remember going up to the hospital to see her. My first encounter with a newborn. I guess I liked her - ha, ha!! I did know that our lives would change around the house. My brother and I had already been told we would help take care of her - changing and washing cloth diapers. I remember sitting around our dining room table while my stepdad told us what our responsibilities would be. I kind of remember a little revolt brewing. But little did I know at that point how much that little newborn baby would mean to me and my family. I remember having to watch her first thing on Saturday mornings. How cruel is that?? I also remember putting her on the family room floor in the sun and watching her "crawl." I think I nick named her "the worm." Her dad called her Putz (not really sure what that means.) I only lived with her for about 9/10 months and then she moved to Florida. When I graduated from high school about 6 months later, I moved to Florida and lived with her again. I think we shared a room at some point. Anyway, I remember in the afternoons taking her for a walk in her striped umbroller. When she got a little older I would take her to Target and shopping. I always remember holding her hand and making sure she never got out of my sight. I was scared to death something would happen to my stepdad's only child!! Of course, I didn't want anything to happen to her either! Then I moved away to go to college. And when I came home to visit, she and I were inseparable. I don't think I was even able to shower by myself. And on Sundays when I had to leave to go back to college, she would stand in the driveway and cry, cry, cry. She was my maiden of honor for my wedding and she took the job very seriously. When hubby and I left the reception to go on our honeymoon, she couldn't understand why we were not taking her with and she cried that night as well :) Of course, all of these stories now make us laugh. She is our number one babysitter and go to girl. She is "paying me back" for all of those times I had to babysit her! Although I think she enjoys helping us out :) Happy Birthday, Sissy!! We love you. . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I remember you telling me about your baby sister when we were in high school. I thought, how cool!
Sisters are the best, happy birthday to yours.

Diane Moody said...

Happy (belated) birthday to your Sissy! Can't believe how fast our girls have grown up. Looks like you had a fun birthday party! Wish we could have all been there! Tell "Grandma" she looks loverly with her newest grandchild in arms!