Saturday, December 27, 2008

North vs. South

This post was originally going to be about comparing the differences in winter weather of the north and the south. It has been so dramatically different this year. We have had our air conditioning on for the last three days. And after talking with family we have found out how cold it has been (in the teens), how the windchill effects the actual temperature and most of all the amount of snow that they have received. According to one relative, the amount of snow will reach a record high if they get three more inches. It is bizarre, to me, how extremely different the weather can be in our country. But as I lay awake last night, I started thinking about all of the differences between the north and the south. (Of course FSU plays Wisconsin today so that has me thinking as well.) When I first moved here, it was a little bit of a culture shock. People in the south generally know a lot more about the Civil War. And for some it still has significant meaning! I had been here a year or two and I remember a boss of mine having a hard time believing he was friends with a Yankee. I thought he was just joking around but as time went by, I realized he was kinda serious. Funny but serious ;) Another huge difference is sweet tea and Coke. Everyone drinks sweet tea and Coke. It is like water. You go north past the Mason Dixon line and sweet tea cannot be found and Pepsi is an acceptable refreshment. When I am home up north, I have been told I have a southern accent. When I talk down south, people who are from up north can tell that is where I am from. High school football is huge down here. They even put it on TV. In the south we use words and phrases like "fixin to" and "y'all." And you don't know how strange you sound until you go somewhere else. I am blessed to have lived in both places. And each has it's own advantages. There have been times when I think I would like to move back but then I watch the weather channel and see minus 10 degrees. I can't imagine having to bundle everyone up to go somewhere. Half of the time my kids barely have shoes on much less mittens and hats. This time of year, I definitely miss it. It is hard to have Christmas with the air conditioning on . . .

4 comments:

Katie said...

Go North :)
Yeah, a white Christmas is lovely, but come January, I'll gladly switch with you! The snow and cold here have been ridiculous, although today it's raining and melting. Go figure.
Also, not a Pepsi fan. I love Coke and sweet tea. But not grits. Someday, we plan on visiting y'all.

Ann said...

Our door is always open. Maybe some day we could orchestrate a trip to Disney together!! We are planning a trip in about 3-4 years. What do you say???

Katie said...

We are seriously considering making the trip in October with just the big boys.

Ann said...

keep me posted :)