Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Skype

Just passing on useful information today. My sister told me about some free new software. Well, it is new to me! Now days the newer computers have a video camera already installed in the computers. I had no idea so I checked it out and sure enough right above the computer screen is this little black dot. And, it is a camera!! Anyway, my sister told me to go to http://www.skype.com/ and download the video software. She had done it on her end. The end result is the ability to talk to each other through the computer but on a video call!! I could see her and she could see me. I was floored!!! And it is all free!! (I still think there is some catch ;) Anyway, the night I downloaded it the kids heard me talking to the computer. So, they came out to see what was going on. They thought Sissy had just sent a video. But she started waving at them and they flipped!! It is really pretty cool. We talked with her last night just for fun. Now, the next step is to buy a webcam for my mom and hook it up when we are down there. It really is a great tool for friends and family that live so far away . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

I've heard about this, but I have an 'old' computer. Sounds like a great idea for your Mom!