Saturday, June 13, 2009

Movies, movies, movies

With the onset of summer, movies are a topic of discussion in our family. In keeping in line with my teaching philosophies and other biblical considerations, I am pretty picky about the movies we see. It seems like most movies that are brought to our attention don't make the cut. But for many, many reasons. First, animated kid movies that are not really for kids. Huge pet peeve of mine! A couple of summers ago I took the kids to a G rated animated movie for a buck. In the movie a teenage boy was wearing his pants down low showing his booty crack. I was so totally offended by the whole scene. I am not a prude. But, really?? What was the point?? Second, I am a huge modesty person. I would rather my girls (and boy I suppose) not see a lot of bare skin on girls, women, etc. If a movie is worth watching surely the girls can keep covered. Third, is quality. The kids watch Oklahoma! and all kinds of other musicals. We watch Holiday Inn and White Christmas. Quality actors with great stories. Lots of dancing and singing. We have watched Shakespeare stories and have operas on our Netflix list. Fourth, I am not big on a lot of gratuitous violence. Fifth, language and attitude of kids in the shows is huge too. I don't want the kids watching other kids with disrespectful attitudes. Unless, there is a heart change by the end. And lastly is scary. Scary is big for me. As a kid I saw a couple of movies that gave me nightmares for days. So, when choosing movies I worry about the nightmare potential. These are just guidelines and not absolutes. There are exceptions which I try to use as teaching points when necessary. Which brings me to our movie choice for last night. The kids (and daddy and nephew) have been lobbying for Night at the Museum. I, of course, have been somewhat opposed. Daddy and I saw it in the theater many years ago and loved it. Well, as a treat I got it from Netflix this week and last night we watched it. Sure, there were parts that I objected to just a little. And yes, I was concerned I would be up half the night with nightmares. But, that wasn't the case and honestly, I enjoyed seeing it again. In fact, we are watching it again this morning. My plan isn't full proof for vetting movies and I have to remember what is really important when making choices. But, for now, the kids are happy with my latest decision. We will see how the rest of the choices go . . .

3 comments:

Katie said...

We love Night at the Museum :)

Diane Moody said...

Reminds me of the time I took my kids to see Titanic when it first came out. Ben was 9, I think. When that scene came on screen where Jack is drawing a semi-nude sketch of Kate, I clamped my hand over Ben's eyes and whispered DON'T LOOK! Years later he told me he saw all of it through the gaps of my fingers. Sheesh. But I applaud your criteria for movie selection. GOOD FOR YOU!

Kathryn said...

John is dying to take the kids to go see Night at the Museum 2.