Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rant

So, the more I have been thinking about this the more annoyed I am getting. Yesterday I had my 6 month follow up appointment to my cervical biopsy. (I have to go every six months now until I have regular paps.) Anyway, we were discussing things like babies and getting time alone etc. (I was a little disappointed because I was able to get in and out of the doctor's office in about an hour. I had brought a book to read and thought for sure it being a Monday morning they would be REALLY busy!) Anyway, the topic of birth control came up. She asked me what we were using. At first I didn't really care about her question. It is the OBs office. It is a valid question. But, she really didn't like my answer. She mentioned that she was going to make a note in my records about my choice and that she had encouraged me to "make the call." She said she didn't want to see me back in the office saying "oops." Ha, ha we both laugh. Then I got to thinking, what the heck business is it of hers what I do for birth control AND so what if I want a million kids (which I don't.) I know it is her job to prescribe birth control. BUT, I am a 41 year old, married woman with four kids. I am pretty sure I can do what I want with my body. If I want more kids at the age of 41 that is MY business.

She wasn't overtly against my decision. She wasn't ugly or judgemental. She was just kind of underhanded. Not once did she ask me if I was going to have more children (I am not.) Not once did she ask me what my hubby thought of more children (he does not.) She just kind of assumed. And, the more I thougth about it, the more it annoyed me.

To some degree, I am not the norm. Four kids, including a 7 1/2 month old and in my early 40s. It is my husband's and my decision. Nobody elses business! Nobody . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

A valid rant, I think.
Sometimes when I mention that I would love more kids I get such a censorious look. I feel like I have to apologize or explain that I'm not REALLY going to do it, I just want to. And then I think, NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!!
So, yeah, I'm there with you, girlfriend.

Diane Moody said...

AMEN, sister!!! Good for you! You're absolutely right - it's YOUR business! Atta girl, Annie!!!