Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sleep Blissful Sleep

For all the things we have going on around here these past couple of weeks the biggest one, for me any way, has been the lack of sleep. It was getting increasingly worse at night. EG has been waking up every hour, hour and a half and just basically nooshing. I would pop her off when I felt like she was asleep and her little lips would make this big round "o" and she looked like a little bird looking for a worm from her mama. Now in the middle of the day it is one of the cutest things a mom can witness. Three, four in the morning for like the 3rd time isn't quite so adorable. As with a lot of things when your a mom, you know when it is time to make changes. When you just can't do a certain something anymore. For every mom it is different for each set a circumstances. I had had enough of the middle of the night feedings. I knew it was needed to maintain my milk supply and give her extra calories so I continued. (I have since added two additional feedings during the day.) But over the course of the last couple of days, I knew I had had enough. I was ready for the tears and the crying. I know you have to teach babies to sleep. Some are easier to train then others. Nature Girl and EG the hardest. Little Mama and Boop the easiest. We started on Monday or Tuesday night. I was just so completely exhausted and in every fiber of my being in the middle of the night I knew I was done. It was time. The first night I was so tired I would hear her cry (nothing frantic just mad). I actually fell asleep and would wake up like a half hour later and she was quiet. (She is in Boop's room and I am on the couch. Actually I start out in her room and after the first time she wakes and I nurse, I go sleep on the couch. Can't sleep in the room with her anymore. She is so noisy and active.) The second night I ended up getting up with her twice. The second time she was more frantic and I just couldn't bare it. But she went right back to sleep after I fed her. Last night she woke up at 11:30PM and I nursed her. I then went on the couch and I never heard from her again. Yea!!!!! I am not going to kid myself into thinking we have some kind of pattern here because I no better. But, I was just so thankful to sleep. I even dreamed!!!! I am not giving up. I am on a mission now, for the two of us. Sleep, blissful sleep . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Even the word 'sleep' makes me a little misty-eyed, I just miss it so much :)

Good job, Mama, keep up the great work. I hope tons of sleep, blissful sleep is just around the corner for you!