Friday, June 26, 2009

Opera?!

First of all, I know I am a little off as far as parenting things go. I have strange ideas sometimes. Well, last week was one of them. We rented from Netflix an opera. When I mentioned this to my friend yesterday she gave me a really quizzical look. And she knows me pretty well. Let me explain. (I like to explain.) For Christmas, we got a children's book full of abbreviated opera stories. The kids loved the stories. I read them to Little Mama (and Boop when he would sit still) and Nature Girl read them at night. So, we rented the Magic Flute because the kids new the gist of the story. The kids tolerated it, sat through it quietly but did not ask to keep it when I got ready to put it the envelope to return it. Thankfully it was only 42 minutes long. I suppose I was a little disappointed. I was hopin' to git 'em some a that thar culture. But, as I thought about it a little more I realized I really don't like opera either.

Well, yesterday, I frustrated because it had been another hotter than hades day. Which means the kids didn't want to be outside (couldn't blame them.) I even called daddy to come home because we all were going stir crazy. ;) Of course, I knew the answer would be "no." But, it never hurts to ask. :) Sometimes it just makes me feel better to ask. Can't explain it just does. Anyway, after lunch I hear Little Mama singing "don't want to be alarmed, don't want to be alarmed." I look at Nature Girl and she has part of Boop's sword on her behind and it is a stinger and she is pretending to be a bee chasing Little Mama. Boop is running around yelling. They had, what I called a little opera going on. As Little Mama was running and singing words and acting, I told her that is exactly what an opera is. They thought it was kind of cool. EG was even getting in on it by "ya - ya"ing as the kids would run by her. So, they decided to put on an opera. Nature Girl was the director, of course. Her version was a little bit more swing or hip-hop. I gave them a 5 minute limit for a performance. They got dressed and did a little show. Not quite what it was originally but what the heck.

My initial reaction when the day wasn't going well was to turn on the TV. I resisted and am so glad I did. I would have missed the premier performance of "Don't Want to Be Alarmed" put on by the cast and crew of the Connell Family . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

It's not quite opera, but Thomas and Daniel, when they were younger, used to watch and love Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang and The Fiddler on the Roof. Then they'd act out the singing and dancing parts.

I'm not a huge opera fan either :)

Ann said...

Mary Poppins was a big hit for a long time. We haven't done Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang yet. Might be renter this summer. We did Fiddler when the girls were younger - need to do that again. If I were a rich man feedle deedle deedle dee . . . my favorite :) I love kids' creativity!!