Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nature Girl's Evaluation

I am just now looking at the computer. I haven't checked my emails and obviously haven't blogged yet. And in 20 minutes we have to leave for tumbling. I just said to Mickey "Where does the time go?!?!" Anyway, yesterday was Nature Girl's second grade evaluation. (Little Mama doesn't get evaluated until next year.) Maybe I should have been a little more concerned about it but I am never nervous. I am totally confident and comfortable with what she has learned. We have a great evaluator. Yes, she is a friend but I am pretty sure I told her last year that I want to hear the good and the bad. I don't want my kids to "get by." If there are ways we can improve I definitely want to hear about it. The evaluator brought Nature Girl a writing journal, that if she does the evaluations next year, she would like to look at it. So that was cool. NG loves journals. This year's evaluation went something like this: she goes through all of NG's notebooks and looks at examples of all of NG's work. She asks me questions about our curriculum. About writing and math and science. She asks NG if she likes being homeschooled and what her favorite subject is :) Then she has NG read. In turn, I ask her lots of questions. It takes maybe a little over an hour. And it is usually very insightful. Helps me to think of how to do things different (or the same) next year. I now have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. Way to go girls . . .

No comments: