Monday, June 15, 2009

Theme for the Week

Horses. Well, for most of the week anyway. I dropped Nature Girl off this AM at horse camp. Mixed emotions. I am glad she is taking an interest in a passion of mine. But, I don't think I have ever dropped her off for the day before (and she goes all week!) She didn't know a soul and all the other kids knew each other. But she was ready to go. I had to ask for a hug and a kiss. I watched her walk down the hill. She was the youngest and the least experienced from what I could tell. I wanted to take pictures but I practiced self control. I think that would have made her (or me) feel even more conspicuous. So, no pictures today. I am staying close to the phone, though. And I will post more tomorrow about her experiences.

Today is about my passion for horses! I have loved horses ever since I can remember. Not just riding them but watching them run and eat and stand still. I use to wish for one for Christmas (of course we lived in a city.) I even lived in a barn once (more about that later this week.) When I owned a horse one of the things I loved the best was just grooming him. His name was "Shorty". He was an unregistered Quarter Horse. Very stocky. Hence the name. He was a sorrel which means reddish body with blondish tail and mane. When I washed and groomed him he shown like a copper penny. He was a great starter horse but he did need to know who was boss. I road him once to Publix (a grocery store) with a friend of mine. In hind sight probably not the brightest idea. But a wonderful, fun memory none the less! I was in my early 30s before my dream came true. Married with no kids. I took roping lessons and even thought about competing in barrel racing (and I still might someday ;) I used to go on trail rides for days. We would ride horses all day and sleep in a conversion van (the ones with beds in the back.) The trail ride was 5 days long and would end in a parade in some small town leading up to their rodeo. The most I ever made though was three days. I was working up to the whole week but then I got pregnant. I suppose I could have kept on riding but I didn't want to take any chances. In fact, we decided to sell Shorty. Keeping a horse is very expensive. I remember very well the lady we sold him to. Hubby and I went and saw Shorty and his new owner ride in a local parade. Shorty looked so handsome. I cried! I can't believe that was nine years ago. I have always been very appreciative to my husband for making a dream come true. I hope to one day live that dream again. Maybe with one of my children . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

It can be so hard helping your children to be independent. Especially the oldest. In my opinion :)

Sounds like the two of you did great...anxious to hear how the whole day/week went!