Thursday, January 8, 2009

2 vs 3

The terrible twos vs. the terrible threes. This subject has come up twice in the past week. It has been the consensus among most of my friends that the terrible threes totally beat the terrible twos. Part of the problem is is that nobody warns you about the terrible threes. There is so much hoopla about the terrible twos. Tantrums and whining are expected for the twos. If you have a plan and are consistent and handle it well it doesn't really amount to much. You get to the end of the twos and you think you are home free. You pat yourself on the back and count on one hand how many times you have had meltdowns in public places. You tell yourself that wasn't so bad. The books must exaggerate. I am a good parent. I am on top of my game. Then come the threes. Now of course I am only speaking from my own personal experience. When I talk about the twos I have always said "Twos, not a problem." "Now threes that is a different story." At the age of two children are experimenting, testing, checking things out, finding out how the world works, figuring out where they belong in the big scheme of things, discovering emotions, thoughts, feelings. And what happens when the do certain things - disobey, throw a tantrum etc. BUT at three, their thoughts, feelings, actions, emotions are more purposeful. The have figured some things out. They think on their own. They have their own ideas and they have figured out their strengths. They have a greater vocabulary and are not afraid to use it. They realize cause and effect. THEY ARE SMARTER. If you approach a two year old with love and expectations and discipline and consistency, I think you can survive unscathed. But all the tricks you learned while dealing with a two year old don't work when they are three. I have also always thought that each time one of my kids was two, I was either pregnant or had a newborn. I was not necessarily focused on the terrible twos. Boop is in the threes. He is a sweet, lovable, flirtatious boy. Now, he is still all those things but he uses them. Scold him and he turns his head to the side and smiles. Tell him to go to his room because of some offense he has committed and he waits to go until you take a step towards him. Ask him to put on his pants and he tells you he can't bend his leg. (My friend Katie's boy has said the same thing.) Boop has learned his strengths. When the girls turned three they were much more emotional. Boop is much more physical. All I can say is "Beware of the threes." Let's get the word out . . . . :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree with this. At two, children are trying to figure out where the boundaries are - at three, they KNOW where they are and they are purposely trying to push them ;-) I've seen many a person ready to throw up their hands at a three-year-old!