Friday, January 9, 2009

Boys and Their Toys


When my hubby bought the retro Hotwheels track as a Christmas present for Boop, I wasn't quite sure who it was for. A couple days after Christmas I figured it out :) Daddy got such a kick out of putting it together and picking out just the right car to race around the track. Which one would go the fastest and stay on the track the longest. Boop tried to have input but daddy was resistant at first. I, in my meek way - ha, ha, explained to hubby that I was pretty sure it was Boop's Christmas present and wouldn't it be nice if Boop could choose a car to race around the track. Reluctantly daddy agreed :) It turned out Boop picked the perfect car and it stayed on the track for a couple of laps! They boys had tons of fun!! This hasn't been the first time that daddy has "bought something for Boop." Every time the boys go to the grocery store (which has been a lot lately), Boop comes home with another Matchbox. I find it amusing because no way would he buy a little toy for the girls. It makes me wonder who the Matchbox is for. Then for the rest of the day daddy will tell whoever is listening what kind of car the Matchbox is and how it was his favorite when he was young. "So and so had that car when I was in high school." Blah, blah, blah :) For Boop's second birthday, daddy bought GIJoe's off Ebay for Boop. Of course we then got to hear daddy's stories about his GIJoes and who he played with and what they did with them. And, gee, which of his three brothers has them or the footlocker etc.
The other day I watched four brothers play together. They were having a blast. So physical and running and tackling and goofing around. While Boop just kind of sat off to the side playing with a truck and sand. I felt a little bad because he really didn't know how to fit in. Of course I couldn't stop thinking about it. But then I thought how lucky Boop is. His daddy can give him all the boy attention he needs. Daddy can just focus on him. Share cars, GIJoes, fishing, hunting, tools, lawn work, fixing things with just him. I suppose there are daddy's out there who can do all those things with all their sons but I know this family makeup is perfect for our family. Plus, hubby said "He isn't getting a baby brother" . . . . :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

My husband's the same way. He almost always comes home from a store with something for the boys -- football cards, a baseball, matchbox cars too. It's awesome.