Monday, January 5, 2009

School Starts Today

I suppose one of the challenges facing a homeschooling mom is trying to do school with a newborn in the house! It is hard enough just to get food on the table and a shower much less educate your children. Even though we haven't done school in almost two months, I don't have big goals for today. Part of today will be just getting a routine going. One that will work for all of us. We used to do school from 9 until right before noon. Now my guess is our school day will probably run most of the day just because we will have to stop and start so much. As many of you know, a huge part of our school day is me just reading to them out of really great books such as "A Child's History of the World", Shakespeare and "Parables of Nature." I will just be happy now if we get a few weeks of basic reading, writing, math and bible done! During our down times throughout the day I am going to try to finish the books we started last term - "Pilgrim's Progress", "The Little Duke" and the Burgess animal book. I think we will start "The Wind in the Willows" because Nature Girl loves the literature books. We have also picked up Brighty again but that is night time reading and we haven't quite got that routine down yet. It is a time when EG is pretty vocal so it is hard to read above the noise :) I sometimes wonder if my kids are at a learning disadvantage. But I hold fast to the fact that the things they have learned in the last two months about family and self sacrifice and changing and feeding babies would never be learned any where else. I think that gives them a little bit of an advantage. And truth be told, I don't think I could get everyone in the car by 7:30 every morning . . . . :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I hope everything goes well for you today! I'll be thinking of you.