Wednesday, January 14, 2009

College Education

Hubby and I have been talking about money and savings a little bit these past few days. Because of hubby's job we don't really worry about him loosing it. He has one of those jobs that more positions are needed! He has been with the department for 15 years so he has seniority and most of all he is good at what he does. As I have mentioned frequently, when we need extra cash he has the ability to work overtime and best of all details. We don't count on that money because the details may not always be there. As we were discussing where that money goes we talked about college for four kids. (We also are saving to buy a house some day.) I remember when we were at Disney. I was about 6 mos pregnant. A man from out west sat down with me and the kids and commented on the fourth bun in the oven. His first comment was "Wow, you will have at least two kids in college for a lot of years." My response was "Yes, but I don't worry about that now." And honestly I don't. I know hubby does seeings how he is the bread winner. There are a couple of reasons I don't worry. First, God blessed me with these children. I have no doubt in my mind that he will provide for them as He sees fit. I have to make good choices and I have to be a good steward with the money He gives me. But I can't do any more than that. Second, I am not sure each of my children needs to go to college. I know there are many out there who disagree. And, yes, to some extent a further education is necessary but I don't think I would force my child to go right out of high school. Especially if they are not sure what they want to do. Yes, I got my degree but never had a job using my "area of expertise." Hubby went to the law enforcement academy. I think if the child was responsible enough and driven enough I would allow them to wait to go. I have seen to many kids (myself included) take class after class, changing their degree time after time. College is a way to find themselves I suppose but it is an awfully expensive way. Lastly, I worked my way through school and am a better person for it. I relied on financial aid cuz I definitely qualified. So, I received Pell grants and scholarships. Plus, I worked full time - all the time. I drove a ragged car (wish I could share a picture.) Lived in a mediocre apartment. Only once in 5 years went on Spring break weekend otherwise worked every single weekend. I did end up spending more than I brought in and spent years paying it all back. But, never charged a thing again in my life!! And that is a reason I feel I am pretty frugal. So, I know it can be done. To be honest, I am sceptical of those kids whose families take care of everything. To much time to play. If the parent thinks it is more time to study, in most cases they are mistaken!!

My biggest thing as far as whether a child of mine goes to college is whether or not it is God's plan for them. If a child of mine is following God and they want to go work somewhere first I don't think I would have a problem with that. As long as I see prayer and a thought process and plan along with that choice. College is expensive and we are not rich. And who know what life will bring . . .

No comments: