Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Part of History

Part of (or should I say most of) school yesterday was watching the inauguration. I have to admit I don't think I have ever watched one before. Later on in the evening when my mom asked the girls what they thought of it they said it was boring. I suppose it was to them but I told them later on in life they can say that they watched the first Afro-American President being sworn in and it will mean something to them :) It is a huge part of history. It was really neat to discuss some of the questions they had. Things that we take for granted. They were both very curious about where the President was going to live. I showed them the White House. I explained that all of the Presidents lived there. They wanted to know where former President Bush was going. I explained he was going back to Texas to live a "regular" life. We discussed how President Obama can't just go to the grocery store to buy shaving cream. They wanted to know why. So we talked about security and being famous. And how he is the most influential/powerful man in the world. Of course they wanted to know why. So we talked about how the United States is the most powerful country in the world and how that is such an awesome responsibility. We touched on the fulfilling of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream. What did that mean?? So we broached the subject of slavery and civil rights. Instead of reading last night we watched some clips from all of the balls. Nature Girl couldn't wait to see the ball gown that Mrs. Obama was going to wear. We had to DVR the event because Mrs. Obama hadn't shown up by bedtime! So, at some point today we will turn on the TV and look at the dress. Yesterday's school day was made up of history, politics, geography and fashion. Not a bad day at school . . .

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Yep, somewhere down the line they'll remember the day they witnessed history. What a great teaching moment to wrap the event in tidbits of history about our country, its past (good and bad). And I too was waiting to see Mrs. Obama's gown before I went to bed! And I must say, I could almost read her lips after a long day that including walking part of the parade IN STILETTOS - "Mr. President, my feet are killing me!"