Saturday, January 24, 2009

Squawky Hawky the Hawk




Gotta love the name! My kids are very original! Last year about this time (near as I can remember) we were visited by what we determined to be a Red Tailed Hawk. We watched it for at least an hour. It was a foggy morning and it would fly from the trampoline, to the fence, to the swing set. I think it even landed on our camper. We had great fun just watching it and taking pictures and trying to determine what type of hawk it was. Well, this morning as I was making breakfast I looked up and the hawk was back!! This caused much excitement in the house. Everyone stopped what they were doing and just watched. I opened the door to the backyard and you could see his head swivel to where the noise came from. But he did not fly away. I took a couple pictures but because something is wrong with the downloading I can't get them off my camera. (These pictures are from last year.) If I get the camera and computer to work together I will post the pictures from this year as well and we can compare. He/she seems bigger this year. Anyway, he flew from the trampoline on to the ground. He/she didn't seem to mind Angel the dog. He watched for a few minutes, flew up to the back fence and then eventually flew away. We watch the skies all the time for hawks. They are so graceful when they fly. It is so neat to see one right in our own backyard . . .
Programing Note: As I looked for the hawk pictures from last year I discovered that last year's pictures were taken the exact same time as the hawk siting this year! How cool is that . . . .

No comments: