Saturday, January 17, 2009

I LOVE Basketball

It is my all time favorite sport. I love other sports as well but LOVE basketball. Those boys/men are true athletes. They have to play hard. Running up and down the court. Offense - Defense. And some of the shots they make are soooo awesome. I grew up watching basketball in a bunch of different ways. I guess some of my earliest memories are of the Milwaukee Bucks. My dad owned a convenience store in the Milwaukee area. The convenience store sponsored the Bucks. I don't have specific memories but I am sure we went to at least one game. I remember Kareem Abdul Jabar (spelling). Then I remember going down to Oshkosh with my dad to watch my cousins Mike and Paul play high school basketball for Lourdes (spelling). I remember sitting in the bleachers watching them run back and forth. I admired them greatly :) When I got a little older I was a cheerleader for St. Pat's and would cheer for their elementary school bball team. We would travel to other elementary schools in the dead of winter to play other catholic school teams. I remember the uniforms - green and white. My first crushes were on two brothers who played for the team. They were awesome. Then during the spring and summer we would go across the tracks to a asphalt bball court were they would play pick up games. It was in the 80s so they would have their boombox out there as well :) I remember going to my junior high basketball games. Our colors were purple and yellow. One of my best friends played on the girls team. Of course I went to my high school games. I want to say we even when to a tournament because I have vague memories of going to the arena to watch them play.

Then college came. Oddly enough when I was in school I didn't go to the games. But once I got out of college I watched FSU play all the time. FSU is part of the ACC so the games were always awesome. And I got to watch some of the best college teams ever! Some memories of that are:

Having a crush on Bobby Sura.
Watching basketball at my girlfriends house while grilling steaks.
Hosting the visiting basketball teams at the hotel where I worked. Seeing Coach K.
Flying on the same plane as the North Carolina Tar Heels. Montross (number 00) was a big fella.
Watching FSU in the Sweet 16 in the lounge of the hotel where I worked. It was dark and a fire was burning.
Leaving late from my parents house in Clearwater to drive back home just so I could watch us play in the NCAA tournament game.
The kids' first game was the NIT tournament and Boop was just 3-4 mos old.

We have errands to run this morning. BUT I will be home by noon to watch the Seminoles on TV. GO NOLES . . . . !!!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

The boys basketball team DID make it to the state finals when we were in high school. I remember that game too -- the convoy on the way there, the crush when we rushed the floor after their victory. I can't remember the boys though...was it when we were seniors? (Mark M,sigh), or when we were sophomores? (Jay G,sigh).

Diane Moody said...

Catching up with Life on Tara after too many days slipped by! LOVE EG's last photo. Some day you should post pictures of four kids when they were the same age as EG. I'm telling you, they could all be quadruplets. Except for their differing birthdates, of course! LOL

You're the best little mother! I remain in awe, my friend, and wish I had learned some of the things you've shared in this blog back when I was raising MY kids!

Ann said...

Oooh what a great idea. I will start looking for some pictures now. Maybe by the time they are 18I will post them - ha, ha!! Thank you for the encouraging words. They are always a blessing :)