Monday, August 18, 2008

Ballet

We have been back to school for about two weeks now. And honestly things have been going better then expected. We have gotten into a rhythm and I think because Little Mama and Nature Girl are both doing school it has helped. This week one of our extra curricular activities starts up again - ballet. This is the girls least favorite activity. When my hubby and I talked over the fall schedule we were trying to decide what, if anything, should be cut from our current schedule. We have been doing gymnastics for 5 years, ballet for 4 and AWANA for 4. But with Boop getting older and baby number 4 on the way things needed to be simplified. At least that was my goal. The girls love tumbling and it is something that Boop enjoys as well. I can usually get every ones classes at the same time, the gym is seven minutes from our house and it is cheap. The kids love AWANA, it is close, I volunteer (which we always need more) and how can you argue with additional scripture memorization, the pinewood grand prix and AWANA games. Then there is ballet. The girls don't care for it (but most of their good friends go), it is farthest away and it is pretty expensive. So, you would think that ballet would get the ax. Well, I got to thinking, about 4 years ago during Christmas time my oldest daughter was in 3 yo preschool and 3 yo ballet. This was going to be the first time I would experience as a parent my child on stage for the preschool Christmas performance. Grandpa, both grandmas and her aunt were there. I was so excited. It was not at all what I had expected. Nature Girl was having a bad day. She didn't want to go on stage and even the teacher was a little frustrated. In the end I had to go on stage with her so she would sing. I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a little disappointed. I was even more concerned because later on that afternoon we had her first ballet recital. At this point, I was preparing for the worst. I was a "new" mom. All these things were important at the time - they were a reflection on me and plus I just didn't get it. So, we get to ballet and we go into the Fellowship Hall and I see my baby girl on stage. I am very anxious. There is prayer and the music begins. I cannot describe in words the beauty that I saw from my baby girl. I sit here with tears in my eyes as I type. She was beautiful - she was God's perfect gift to me. Sure she didn't do the dance perfectly but her countenance was like an angel -she was so graceful and so intent on following her teacher's directions. I cried and cried and cried. There was my baby on stage dancing for Jesus with all of her heart. Needless to say we are still doing ballet . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

What a great story.  I also had to decide what, if anything, we were going to cut out when I was expecting baby number 4.  Would it be my girl's music class?  My boy's karate?  We dropped both. :)