Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rainy Days


Ugh. Day number three of rain which in my opinion is one of the harder parts of homeschooling. In our little school we spend a lot of time outdoors in nature observation, science and physical education. Not to mention our house seems awfully small with all four of us cooped up all day. We tend to bicker a little more and have a little less patience. Of course, the house is messier because every toy gets hauled out. Even the ones that are usually ignored. During school hours, if one or two of the little guys get restless (even the seven year old) my solution is "Go play outside." Obviously not an option when it is raining. I try to stay away from the TV because I believe my children need to learn to occupy themselves when there is "nothing to do" (whine, whine). I will admit though there are days when a movie is necessary if for no other reason then my sanity. But, there is a bright side to rainy days and that is the creativity that blossoms when the complaining and whining stops. Yesterday my kids were mailmen. The each had a box that they fit around them to carry mail. They collected different size pieces of "mail" and put them in the box. For some reason they thought they needed a hat and then the went around for about 45 min delivering mail two separate times! The little guy needed me to write mail on his box to be official. I think he even slept with his mail at nap time. Little Mama even brought me a check in the mail. She can deliver my mail anytime! Nature Girl who is seven even got into the act. Maybe it makes rainy days worth it . . .

No comments: