Saturday, August 30, 2008

House Cleaning

Ugh!!!!!! I HATE those two words. I am not a house cleaner. Just ask my mom and mother-in-law. Apparently my lack of house cleaning ability was part of their lunch time conversation this week. I have a few strong thoughts about house cleaning beside the fact that I HATE it. First, we try to keep things neat. But, with 6 peoples things in one house (soon to be 7) the clutter and stuff can easily over run us especially if I am not diligent in keeping it at bay. Most days I am - if I have the energy to keep after everyone to put their stuff away and to help out. Honestly though if I have one bad day where I just can't the place is a wreck!! We are home all the time. There isn't a time when my kids are away that I can devote to just cleaning. (Honestly, even if there was I wouldn't jump on the task right away - my list of things I would rather do will come later.) When I clean I have three little persons under my feet wanting to help, stepping on clean floors, playing with the cleaning supplies etc. Now these are just excuses and I know that :) We have people over for dinner, play dates, lunch and visiting constantly. I always have things neat and clean then. But, if my house isn't immaculate I just assumed people would see my three young kids and me 7 mos pregnant and give me a pass. Is having my house immaculate worth the frustration and aggravation that my family usually gets the brunt of????

Things I like to do instead of clean:
Read my Bible
Spend time with my husband
Read one of the many books I have started
Play a game with my kids
Go to Barnes and Noble (or Walmart)
Read to the kids
Post to my blog
Read other blogs
Get things ready for the next day of school
Organize anything
Make cards
Bake bread or cookies
Do laundry
Meet some friends for lunch
Rest

The list could go on and on but you get the idea. I would like to think people come to our home because of the fellowship not because what the house looks like. Yes, it is important to have a clean and neat home but I think it is more important to have a relaxed home full of happiness and love. . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yes, I feel exactly the same way. I am grateful for the frequent company we get... it's really the only time I make an effort :)

Diane Moody said...

Hey, you tell those mother-figures to mind their own business! I have a friend who used to follow her toddler around with Windex - to spray off those aggravating little fingerprints on the sliding glass door, etc. She was frantic to keep a perfect house. Years later, her daughter rebelled in the worst possible way, they've NEVER had a good relationship, her husband left her, and my friend is one of the most unhappy people I've ever known. But by golly, she keeps a clean house! There's a moral in that story.

Hey - LOVE your blog!!! I've got it on my desktop now. I owe you a long email. Soon, I promise.