Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Schooling




Yesterday we started our first day of school. This year I have a kindergartner and a second grader. I need way more organization then I have had in the last two years. This year we actually start at a specific time and each subject, theoretically, is to start at a certain time. And, each subject is to last a certain amount of time. All this to get school done by lunchtime!! In a number of ways I love when school starts. I am all about organization and a system and a plan. We seem to have better days when the kids know what to expect. Yesterday even Boop was able to play by himself for most of the school time. The dog and the fish get fed when we have a plan. Teeth get brushed when we have a plan. Rooms get straightened when we have a plan. I am learning, though, that every plan has to have a certain amount of flexibility. When we originally started homeschooling I flexed for everything and ended up way behind. I think last year we did a little better but still ended up a little behind. This year we started 2 weeks earlier in anticipation of the flexibility I will need in November when Baby C is born.

I love sitting on the couch teaching my very own children how to read. Me, I teach them how to read! It blows my mind sometimes. I also get to teach them what is important in life. It isn't all about academics (although that is important.) I get to teach them morals based on a biblical way of life. I know there are no guarantees but in the end I will have known I did my very best (whole other subject :) They also get time for baking and sewing and cardmaking and mosaics and ballet and tumbling and animals and music and art and I could go on and on and on. And almost nothing my children do shocks me - I am with them constantly and know for the most part what each child is capable of. There have been a few surprises but nothing yet that has been our of character ;)

But, there are frustrating days as well. Days I don't understand why they don't get what to me is a very easy concept. Or days when Boop wants all of the attention. Or days when I am just plain tired and I just want to sit on the couch and watch mindless TV. Or days when daddy is home and all the kids would rather play with him then do school. Or when there is a ton of house work to do and we are having company and certain things just don't get done (things that used to be really really important to me :) Or days when I am just plain impatient with anything and everything. Those days seem to be coming more often the more pregnant and hot I get!

But in the end, I know this is the right choice for our family for this season in life . . . .

No comments: