Friday, August 8, 2008

Bedtime Routines

When my first child was born she had her days and nights mixed up for close to 6 weeks. After that she would sleep at night but it was a fight. (She didn't like sleeping during the day either.) Everyone told me "Get a bedtime routine." So I did. Bath, story, bottle and in bed by 8:24PM. When she finally did start sleeping through the night I was adamant about the routine. Bath, story, bottle and in bed by 8:24. Peaceful sleep. It didn't matter what we were doing or where we were. It was bath, story, bottle and bed by 8:24. It worked and I wasn't about to risk any changes to the routine that gave me peaceful nights sleep. My family made fun of me. I didn't care. I had a system, a plan and it worked. When baby number two came a long it was a whole lot easier - mostly because I knew more. The bedtime routine was the same - bath, story, nurse, bed but I wasn't such a stickler for the 8:24 part. I enjoyed time with both girls at night. We would read together. We said a prayer which I still say to this day: "Dear Lord, watch over my babies as they sleep. I pray they sleep well through the night and into the morning. I pray that You put Your hedge of protection around Daddy, Mommy, Katie (squeeze hand), Olivia (squeeze hand), Cooper (in another room), Grandma, Grandpa Joe, Nona Kris, Coco, Sissy, Uncle J.J., Auntie Karla and baby C." Then we say thanksgivings and any prayer requests, we give kisses, hugs, water and good nights. When baby number three came along I still stuck to a routine but the timing over the years has become a little looser. I take baby boy to his room after we all read together and rock and say prayers with him for a few minutes. We cover ourselves with a blanket that my mom started when my sister was born almost 24 years ago. Then he gets big boy hug, big boy kiss and in his crib he goes. We have a little conversation then sing a little song (currently "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"), we put "medicine" and socks on his feet. He talks to himself or sings to himself for a few minutes and then falls asleep.

I have learned so much over the last 8 years about children and routines. I am a big believer of routine. It helps with a feeling of security when the little guys just know what is coming next. Over 8 years I can list on one hand the number of times my children haven't gotten a bath before bed. Now, we all read on the couch and the bath might be at 9:30. It might be a 5 minute rinse off but it is still part of the routine. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit concerned about baby number 4's prospective sleeping habits. One thing I can tell you for sure is he/she will have a bedtime routine . . . .

No comments: