Saturday, August 23, 2008

Girlfriends

Yesterday we had a playgroup date for lunch. We have a pretty large homeschool community within our local area. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't like large groups especially if it is full of people I don't know. So last year a mom that I knew kind of well (because our daughters became friends in ballet) formed a small playgroup that was made up of about a half a dozen families and included me. I think there were 7 moms and like 18 kids. Anyway, I loved it. It solved my problem of having to meet people I didn't know. We would make dates to go to the park together or field trips or lunch. We have continued our group this fall. There are so many neat things about our little group:

1. It is planned and I can put on the calendar.
2. We get to do the neat things in our area with other like minded families.
3. My children get to develop relationships with other children outside our immediate sphere of church and family.
4. We go as a group and can get discounts.
5. We have done things such as a cookie bake and a tea that gave each girl a chance to recite a scripture verse or poem they had been working on.
6. The children interact with other children of all ages. The big ones play with the little ones etc.

But I think I would be remiss in not mentioning that one of the biggest benefits of our little playgroup is the opportunity for the moms to get together and talk. We talk about all kinds of things from school to decorating to gardening to nutrition. I have enjoyed immensely the time I have spent with these women. I have never come away not feeling so thankful for the families that God has placed in my life whether it be for a season or the long haul. Yesterday those women gave me such encouragement whether they knew it or not. I consider each of them a girlfriend which every woman needs . . . .

No comments: