Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Benfits of Homeschooling


Normally I wouldn't get into the pros of educational choices but yesterday was the start of public school in our hometown and the subject came up more than once so I thought I would give a short list of all the benefits I see to the choice my family has made:

1. We don't get up until 7:30 AM.
2. School doesn't start until 9:00 AM and we are done for the day by noon.
3. We have every afternoon free to do whatever we want so the kids are able to participate in a number of extra curricular activities.
4. We don't have homework.
5. We can focus the school day on what interests the kids.
6. We can do school outside on beautiful days.
7. We go on tons of field trips.
8. We have every Friday off.
9. We meet friends for lunch during the week.
10. If a child is struggling, I can take extra time to work with her.
11. The teacher/student ratio is exceptional ;)
12. The children's biggest influences come from my husband and me.

I suppose I could go on and on but for now that is it. In Deut 6:6-9 God says "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." I believe God has directed our family to fulfil this instruction by homeschooling. It works for us today . . . .

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love it when you write about homeschooling. It's a subject that fascinates me. Can't wait to read more!

Ann said...

Should have been in our house yesterday. I am pretty sure fascinating would not be a word we would use. Pretty sure I don't want to put in writing a word that I would use ;)