Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nature Study

A big part of our little homeschool is the study of nature. Charlotte Mason believes until about the age of 6 little ones should be able to explore the great outdoors and make natural connections on their own. We have the Handbook of Nature Study which we read once a week. It gives facts about insects, mammals, flowers etc. It is about 3 inches thick! I have in the past let Nature Girl pick what she feels like studying within the curriculum suggestion. So last year's first semester was mammals so we studies dogs, horses and tigers. This semester is insects so we are studying mosquitoes, butterflies, praying mantis just to name a few. The beauty of it at this stage is there isn't much prep work for me. We read the Handbook, we might get a book or two from the library (preferably living books), maybe go on a field trip and then we go out into nature. Tomorrow is our first nature outing other than our back yard. We are going with another family which makes it nice. We will return to the same place every week to observe what we happen to be studying but also to notice the changes in the creek, foliage, flowers, animals and insects. I am not required to teach and it is even suggested I don't talk. I just let the kids experience what they see and make their own connections, associations, relations. We bring along a sketch book and they are encouraged to draw something that catches their eye. We then look up its name and then Latin name. This is science for the next couple of years. I think I can do this. . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

You are rocking the homeschool thing :) When I think of homeschooling, it's the math and the science that I think I couldn't do.
Nature study sounds like a lot of fun... I hope you take and post some pictures.