Thursday, August 21, 2008

Deputy Daddy

How many of you can sit in one room and hear your children talking to their father in another room and hear him say "Oh, no that one just goes bang." When I hear things like that it reminds me how different our lives are sometimes because of what our daddy does for a living. He is a deputy sheriff. It is one of the reasons we homeschool. He works shift work so he works a lot of weekends and he goes to bed early because his shift starts before dawn. Most days I don't think about what he does. Then something happens. I was talking with my pastor one day and a call came in. It was my husband. I ignored it the first time but then he called back so I clicked over to take his call. (I am a horrible wife for so many reasons :) When I finally gave him a chance to speak he said "I have been involved in a shooting." He had been shot at and had to shoot back to defend himself. My heart stopped, my world stopped. He had the next few days off so we were able to talk about it and regroup. On another occasion my husband and I were discussing our differences in disciplining our children. I felt like I was always the bad guy. He said point blank "Do you know what I do for a living? I deal with conflict all day long. I don't want to do it at home too." WOW!!! How could I have been so stupid. I guess our family life is a little different then others. He wears a bullet proof vest to work for goodness sake ;) Now daddy gets to go to bed early on the nights when his shift starts the next day. And at night when he gets home from work one of the kids brings him a cool drink and he gets to hang in the bedroom uninterrupted until he has shaken off the day. My husband has been with the sheriff's department for over 15 years and I am still learning how to be a cop's wife . . .

1 comment:

Katie said...

Perspective. Another interesting post.......